Wednesday, February 23, 2011

a girl & her cold...

Hi everyone...

This girl has a cold! ugh!

I had so many plans for my February break...a whole week of DIYing and finally, finally a bedroom with color! Instead, I've been sniffling & coughing up a storm...so frustrating!

Now, normally I'd relish in the chance to stay in bed all day & have nothing to do but flip through channels or catch up on my DVR list..not this time though.

I really, really wanted to be busy...Picture it: freshly painted walls...nice, comfy "new" headboard made by yours truely, and a sunburst mirror Martha Stweart could be proud of...can you see it?? Oh, it was going to be soooo GREAT!

But, alas, in a cloud of used tissues, that vision disappeared...*sigh* (gross, I know, but to be completely honest there was only 1 used tissue & all it did was catch a sneeze)

There was however an achey body, a throbbing head, and a burning throat...so no DIY for me...

EXCEPT...You had to know that a cold couldn't keep me down the whole time...

I did manage to get started on my sunburst mirror...remember I wanted to make my own for under $20...

My inspiration...the sunburst mirror made by Michelle at "Three Men and a Lady"
(I tried to post a picture, but couldn't so, find it & a tutorial HERE)

Now remember, its not finished...I have 2 more steps to go...

Step 1: find the perfect thrift store mirror as my base



I found this mirror at "Class & Trash" on South Main Street in Salinas. It had a $4 sticker price, but since it was a little beat up, I got it for $3...I know what you're thinking..eww..wicker! yuck! Open your minds people....it gets better!

Step 2: Glue BBQ skewers (yes, BBQ skewers) to the back of the mirror...like this:


I had an open bag at home so I only had to buy 1 more pack of 100 skewers for $2.15. To attach them, I used hot glue..see my big pink gun in the background?? Isn't she cool?? lol...

Step 3: Which I haven't gotten to is to spray paint the whole thing black...don't panic!! I'm not leaving it black..that's just a base for the silver that will be the final color, but that's step 4, and we can't get there yet because

THE GIRL HAS A COLD!! ugh!!

ok, so here's hoping that next time you check back I'll have a freshly painted room & an amazing sunburst mirror to show you...

*fingers crossed*

stay healthy...
~Bernadette

No comments:

Post a Comment