Saturday, April 21, 2012

My Latest & Greatest DIY Project EVER!!

So my latest project is DIY at its finest. Its me...I'm my latest project.

I am in the middle of the biggest makeover I've ever done. Its lasted oh, I'd say...about 14 years.

That's how long my weight has been yo-yoing... When I was 21 I was thin, in a semi-new relationship, & foolishly blindly happy... now I'm 35, not so thin, & foolishly happily married...

No...not to the same guy... in fact, that semi-new relationship is part of that epic moment when everything changed for me. It was the beginning of the yo-yo... My then boyfriend (we'll call him Mr. Toxic <---my cousin's favorite name for him), broke up with me..well, more like I cought him with his ex-girlfriend, but tomay-to, tomah-to... the point is we broke up...BRING ON THE ICE-CREAM!!!

That's exactly what I did...I stopped going to the gym, ate whatever I wanted & basically was really sad...

After a while I wasn't depressed anymore. I realized that I was better off & went about my life...but by then I was a bit bigger..like a size 18 jeans...Did I mention I'm only 5'3"?

Then one day..years later (I was 30+ by then) I joined the gym again, hired an awesome personal trainer & worked out like a feind. I counted my calorie intake & it worked. I got down to 165lbs & into size 10 jeans. I thought that was AWESOME!

In other words, I got comfortable...

I figured I didn't really have to count my calories so accurately anymore because I still worked out regularly and it was all about maintaining..see I didn't want to be a rail thin skinny minnie..just a regular girl... size 10 worked for me!

Then...BOOM!!!

My grandfather was diagnosed with cancer...I cared about nothing else...I stopped going to the gym so that I could be there in his house. I hung out with my mom & aunts & again ate anything I wanted... see the pattern??

Three years later I am a borderline size 14/16 & tired of being a yo-yo... I still had my gym membership so I started going again about 8 months ago. Three months ago I actually got serious about it... I decided I needed to make my health more of a priority...so now I go to the gym every morning before work. I work out for about 45 minutes a day Monday thru Friday and for about two hours on Saturday. Every other Saturday I go to Zumba class..LOVE IT!!!

If you've tried Zumba before & didn't like it, I urge you to try a different instructor. I've tried a few different instructors & have decided that I only really enjoy Angelo's Zumba class, but I'll post on that another time...

Two months ago I started the calorie counting again...

Over the last three months I have lost 6.6lbs... not a high number if you're used to watching The Biggest Loser, but its what I've got, so there you go...

Anyway..if you're still with me, then for the next little while you'll be reading about my journey..the ups & the downs...

Oh, by the way, I weigh in every Monday morning...just once a week no matter how tempting it is to pop on all the time in between weigh ins.

All for now...

Bernadette...

No comments:

Post a Comment